Studies continue to prove that those who engage in cognitive exercises for seniors show impressive results in maintaining mental awareness, delaying cognitive diseases such as Alzheimer’s, and overall good health. Just as muscles require exercise to stay fit, so does the brain. The main functions of cognitive exercise include reasoning; analysing; associating; concentrating; and judging.
There are plenty of everyday activities that seniors can engage in to keep mentally fit. Like any exercise routine, pick things that you will enjoy and stick to. Examples include:
- Hobbies: woodworking, photography, dancing, playing music.
- Crafts: painting, knitting, scrapbooking.
- Games: card games, bingo, chess.
- Computer games: Tablets are very popular with seniors for games and puzzles.
- Puzzles: crosswords, sudoku, word search.
- Learning: languages, reading, researching.
The important thing is to challenge your brain every day. Pick things that you will enjoy doing and look for new friends that will also be up for making it part of their routine with you.
Let Serenity Home Care help with implementing these and other creative cognitive exercises for seniors. As the leading provider of in-home help for seniors in Langford and the surrounding areas, our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in a wide range of elder care needs, including specialized dementia care. Just some of the many ways we can help include:
- Companionship for fun activities and conversations
- Transportation and accompaniment for outings, hair appointments, medical appointments, etc.
- Personal care assistance
- Running errands
- Light housekeeping and meals
- And more
Contact us for a free in-home consultation to learn more about our services and how we can improve life for someone you love.