It’s the most wonderful time of the year again, and while most of us are busy meeting with friends and family, buying gifts, and preparing festive food, there are some seniors who are not busy at all. Lonely seniors, who may not have anyone to visit or may be unable to travel, can find Christmas particularly difficult. Is there a lonely senior living near you? Would you be able to bring them Christmas cheer? Here are just a few ways you can help lonely seniors this Christmas:
- Bring them some holiday food – or better yet, invite them over for some.
- Invite them to see a choir or some carolling – music, and songs they know, can bring a lot of joy.
- Ask them if they need anything done around the house – now that the whole family has some time off, everyone can hopefully pitch in.
- Deliver a wrapped gift, letting them know that someone is thinking of them this Christmas.
- Drop a card in their mail slot introducing yourself as their neighbour, and letting them know that they can call if they ever need something.
Befriending a lonely senior this holiday season may be the best gift you can give. We hope you have a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!