Are you too busy? With ageing parents to care for, growing children to raise, and careers demanding our focus, we’re definitely very busy. But when does the line of too busy get crossed?
If any of this sounds familiar, you may be too busy:
- There are not enough hours in the day. If you find yourself up late because you are stressed about the additional tasks that you haven’t completed, chances are you have too many tasks.
- Your social life has become non-existent. If socializing has fallen off your priority list, you are doing too many chores. Human connection is a basic need for everyone – even the busy people!
- You feel overwhelmed by your daily activities. If you look at your To Do list and begin to feel overwhelmed, or even depressed, you need to cut it down.
- You can’t say ‘no’. Try saying no once in a while. If you find that you can’t, this is a warning to yourself that you’re letting people pile your plate too high.
- You are exhausted or getting sick more often. When you are working too hard, and becoming exhausted, stressed, or depressed, your body’s immune system is functioning extra hard to keep you going. This means that you have lower defense against viruses, and are susceptible to everything that’s going around.
When we become too busy, we literally put our own health at risk, and may not be able to continue caring for our loved ones. Being too busy is a sign that you need help. Could you share the burden with a friend or family member? Hire a part-time caregiver, or even a cleaner? Reduce your commitments? Speak to your family, colleagues, and friends openly and honestly about getting you the help you need to be the best caregiver you can be.