Arthritis affects millions of people, both young and old. There are several forms of arthritis, such as rheumatoid and osteoporosis, but arthritis pain relief is similar for all types. Here are some of the top-rated, non-drug treatments for arthritic pain:
- Hot and Cold: The most popular, tried and true pain reliever for all that ails you, switching between hot and cold is often the best and quickest method.
- Exercise: While arthritic pain may discourage you from wanting to move around, it is proven that motion helps to pump blood through sore joints and aid in pain-free movement. Even more encouraging: exercise prevents most forms of arthritis. Engaging in a program that includes easy weight lifting will help your bones to stay strong and healthy.
- Shoes: With an impressive amount of nerve endings in your feet, proper footwear to pamper your sensitive feet will help reduce pain felt throughout the body.
- Diet: A diet that is high in nutrients, such as calcium, and low in preservatives and sugar, will help your body function better and with less pain. Think of food as fuel for the body – the less ‘bad’ in your fuel, the better the whole system runs.
- Water therapy: Arthritic joints benefit from being in water for both pain relief and arthritis prevention. Swimming is great resistance exercise, and also usually cold enough to provide pain relief. Hot tubs or baths provide instant pain relief for stiff and immobile joints.
If you are suffering from arthritis, talk to your doctor about non-drug treatments you can benefit from which will make your body healthier, and you feel less pain.