Halloween isn’t just for kids. Whether your loved ones or clients live at home or in assisted living, there are many ways we can make this October memorable for them. Here is a list of Halloween activities for seniors that will make the season tons of fun!
What Are Some Great Halloween Activities for Seniors?
Here are our top 15 recommendations:
1. Halloween Colouring Book
- Especially good for seniors with Alzheimer’s and dementia
2. Halloween Crafts
- Scrapbooking: Gather a stack of magazines onto a table and instruct your loved one to find pictures that create a personalized scrapbook, or simply glue the pictures they find onto a small poster board. Remind them of the theme.
- No-Carve Pumpkins: https://www.crossroadshospice.com/hospice-palliative-care-blog/2014/october/23/crafting-with-dementia-patients-no-carve-halloween-crafts/
3. Carve Pumpkins
- If using a knife is not an option, you can always use a sharpie to draw the face on.
4. Watch a Classic Halloween Movie
- Hocus Pocus
- The Witches
- The Adams Family
5. Visit a Pumpkin Patch
- Pick out a pumpkin together!
6. Assisted Living Trick-or-Treat
- Any seniors who want to participate can get dressed up in a costume and visit trick-or-treat stations set up around the facility.
7. Take a Fall Colour Tour
- Take advantage of the beautiful trees and scenic drives throughout Victoria. For seniors that are homebound, creating a sensory box can make them feel connected to the change of season.
8. Dress Up!
- Make your own Halloween costume with clothes they already have at home.
9. Watch a Football Game
- Fall means football season has started!
10. Make Goody Bags
- Put together goody bags for trick-or-treaters if they are still in their own home. They may be visited by kids in their neighbourhood, which can be overwhelming if you’re not prepared.
11. Decorate the Front Door
- Jazz up their front door with a harvest wreath, a scarecrow, or a spiderweb!
12. Make Apple Cider
- The perfect treat for a cold fall day, and it smells great too! Follow this link for a simple recipe. https://www.campbells.com/kitchen/recipes/spiced-hot-apple-cider/
13. Go for a Walk
- We are lucky to live in a city that is filled with big beautiful trees. Take a stroll outside to see the colourful leaves and enjoy that crisp fall breeze.
14. Make Caramel Apples
- If you have a big sweet tooth, this treat should do the trick! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21130/caramel-apples/
15. Learn to Knit
- Perfect for a rainy day in.
If you need home care services in Victoria, BC, Oak Bay, Saanich, Sidney, Langford, or the surrounding areas, give us a call at 250-590-8098