The world around you might be resolving to lose 10 pounds, exercise more, and eat healthier, but if you’re providing dementia care, just getting through each day is often ambitious enough. The notion of aiming to improve upon any area of your life during this unsettling time can be overwhelming.
At Serenity Home Care, we would like to offer you a bit of encouragement. We know the work you are doing is often both rewarding and frustrating, and we’re here to support you in any way we can. To start, we’ve gathered some resolutions exclusively for dementia caregivers that will actually help make your journey a little easier.
What Resolutions Are Good for Someone Providing Dementia Care?
Take a deep breath and a few moments to consider the following:
- Designate time for self-care. We understand; this can be harder than it sounds. But taking time for yourself is vital to both your overall health and that of the individual you’re taking care of. It does not need to be anything complicated or extensive, unless you would like it to be. Simply carving out a few hours once a week for an activity you like can offer the rejuvenation you need. A reliable friend or family member can fill in while you are away, or contact Serenity Home Care for a trained, experienced caregiver to help.
- Forgive yourself. Understand that you are human, and there will be times that you wish you had handled a scenario in a different way. Resolve that this will be the year that you thoroughly let go of any guilt, and in exchange remind yourself that you are doing the best you can to make life better for the person you love.
- Remind yourself that you know what is most beneficial. Family caregivers can find themselves surrounded by well-intentioned individuals who want to offer advice. While their ideas may work effectively for some people, they might not be suitable in your situation. Listen respectfully to any recommendations offered and thank the person for the advice, but then ultimately trust your judgment in making the most effective care decisions for your circumstances.
For a dependable partner in dementia care, and for some further helpful resources, contact Serenity Home Care, the leader in home care in Metchosin and the surrounding areas. We will be happy to visit with you in your home at no cost to discuss the challenges you’re facing and to provide creative solutions to help, such as:
- Planning and preparing meals based on individual preferences
- Providing engaging activities and conversations to help keep both mind and body active
- Support as needed with personal hygiene tasks, while encouraging independence
- Transportation and accompaniment to appointments and outings
- Assistance with aggression, wandering, agitation, sundowning, repetitive behaviors, and more
- And many others