There is often nothing “routine” about a routine checkup. You may arrive to your appointment perfectly fine, but leave with orders for blood work as well as other medical tests a doctor recommends to keep you as healthy as possible. These tests may be nothing more than a small inconvenience for you, but medical tests for older adults can be challenging, for many reasons: transportation problems, thinner skin, mobility issues, cognitive difficulties, fragile veins, and more.
There are actions you can take to help an older family member manage medical tests more easily. For instance:
- Find out if tests can be performed in the senior’s home. Home health care is becoming an increasingly viable option for blood work along with other tests.
- If the senior needs to have a test done outside the home, call ahead to the facility where it will be performed. Find answers to any specific questions you may have about drop-off location, parking, the optimum time of day to schedule the test, etc.
- Providing a stool or urine sample can be difficult. Ask the doctor for any recommendations to help make the process easier, for example, a receptacle to position over the toilet as opposed to using a cup. Make sure the bathroom floor is clean and dry and that any bathmats or throw rugs are removed, and encourage the person to hold onto a grab bar during the collection process to prevent a fall.
How Can Home Care Help a Senior Who Needs Medical Tests?
An in-home caregiver from Serenity Home Care can:
- Provide accompaniment and transportation to medical appointments, tests, and procedures, while assisting with mobility support as needed
- Help the senior to get settled safely back at home afterwards, and provide companionship and oversight to watch for any changes in condition that need to be reported
- Pick up prescriptions and provide medication reminders to ensure meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Take notes to make sure doctors’ orders are understood and followed
- And much more
Also, many individuals feel much more comfortable receiving assistance for sensitive personal health matters from an experienced professional. Our caregivers are skilled in discreet and respectful support with personal care needs, allowing loved ones to step back and provide the individual with privacy.
Reach out to Serenity Home Care, the leading provider of Victoria senior care and care throughout the surrounding areas, at 250-590-8098 to arrange for the support needed for someone you love. We offer a complimentary in-home consultation that will help you understand your options, so contact us today!