What do you wish for most this holiday season? Financial security? Peace on earth? Good health for your loved ones? What if you could eliminate stress and simply enjoy the holiday season? What a gift that would be!
Caregiving can feel overwhelming any time of year, however the holiday season can send your stress level off the charts. There are ways, however, to ease holiday stress and truly take pleasure in the warmth, beauty, and love of the season. Our care experts recommend the following small steps that can make a big difference.
- Downsize gifting. Shopping for the perfect gift for everyone on your extended friends and family list can consume quite a lot of your holiday time (and money!). There are lots of fun ways to simplify the process. For instance, have each family member choose a name and purchase a present for that person only. Then plan a potluck dinner with each person bringing a favorite dish and exchanging gifts.
- Intentionally concentrate on the positives. Gratitude is a great tool for changing your outlook and mood. Create a simple gratitude journal in which you record what you are most thankful for, and spend time every day reading through and reflecting on the list, adding to it as new thankful thoughts arise.
- Alter traditions. If you have always been the one to host large family holiday gatherings, consider passing the torch to someone else. If the thought of lugging out each and every holiday decoration is overwhelming, select several of your favorite items and leave the rest in the attic this year. Find ways to simplify and establish new traditions that place less pressure on you.
- Be open and honest. Forget about putting up a facade to cover up what’s really going on in your life. Let family and close friends in on the struggles your loved one is facing and just how it is impacting you. Sharing from the heart with those you trust to listen and understand is an extraordinary relief in and of itself.
- Enlist help. Caregiving should never be a solo endeavor. Taking regular breaks for self-care benefits both the individual in your care and yourself. Let family and friends know exactly what they can do to help, and then do not hesitate to accept that support. Our caregivers are always available to help as well!
How Can Home Care Help Reduce Holiday Stress?
Our caregivers are alleviating stress for families like yours each and every day – during the holiday season and throughout the year! Our services are highly customized to allow seniors and their family members to choose the tasks they would like help with, while maintaining what they prefer to do themselves.
Contact Serenity Home Care at 250.590.8098 or reach out to us online for a free consultation to find out exactly how we can partner with you in caring for someone you love in Oak Bay, Sidney, Saanich, as well as the surrounding areas. Then take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy every precious moment with those you love!